Blog of a Mature Graphic Design Student

Induction and First Day at Nursery

Last Wednesday was my induction for the Creative Practice (Graphic Design) course. First hurdle – finding the room. Luckily I wasn’t alone, there was quite a few of us who couldn’t find the room. Plus I had the excuse of only being in that room once before!

It was a bit overwhelming, a lot to take in but hopefully it will make more sense when I officially start which on the 18th of September.

Critical Studies Essay

There is a 4000-5000 word essay to write which I don’t find that scary actually, once I have decided what it is about I should be able to break it down into chunks. The hard part is deciding what I want to write about. After this is complete I will start start planning the final major project and this begins in January next year.

Professional Development

This is the part of the course where I need to show some sort of development of my skills career wise. It has got me slightly stumped as my plan was to concentrate on graphic design rather than teaching right now. I don’t want to take on too much, I wanna make sure I pass this course first.

Thinking along the lines of learning more software, possibly Experience Design CC. Although I’m not that interested in the competition side of things, there are design competitions and entering them would at least give me some more design practice. Got a lot to think about and I’m not really sure where I am heading with the Professional Development part of the course.

Major Project

Not even thinking about this one yet as it ties in with the essay. What ever I end up writing about will influence the final project so until I have at the very least started the essay I won’t be thinking about this.

Elijah’s First Day

My youngest, Elijah, had a great day. When I asked “Did you miss me?” he responded defiantly “No!”. When I said we needed to go home he didn’t want to, I had to bribe him with a Barney Bear. He has settled in very well, too well in fact – I think I could have left him there and I’m not sure he would have cared!

Only downside is the Monday afternoon session, I’m in from 2.00 p.m. to 5 p.m. He gets up early, around 6 a.m. sometimes earlier and is often in bed by 5:30 to 6 p.m. I am hoping that once the first lot of lecturers are completed I can come in earlier and leave earlier. Also 2 p.m. is my “drop” time. For anyone who’s got kids that get up early you’ll know what I mean, the time that you suddenly feel like you wanna go to bed, those last hours before bed drag and the only thing that helps is very strong coffee. And lets be honest even that doesn’t work that well!


I’m panicking less than I was on Wednesday, such a lot to take in but I think I will just have to take it all one step at a time and hopefully this will come together and make more sense next week when I head back in.

Next Post

Previous Post

Leave a Reply

© 2020 Ayshea Siddall

Theme by Anders Norén